Vedado information and tourist activities - Private accommodation Vedado - Cuba


Search for Accommodation
Area:
Property Type:
Rooms:
Date of arrival:
Number of Nights:
  •  Capitolio

La Habana - Vedado

La Habana - Vedado

Vedado is a neighborhood in the city of Havana, whose construction began in the late nineteenth century and reached its peak in the first half of the twentieth century. Today is part of the Plaza de la Revolution. It is the political and administrative center of the capital of Cuba, in the vicinity are the headquarters of numerous state ministries and offices foreign companies that have relationships with the country. As for cultural activities is only comparable to Old Havana, with numerous art galleries and museums.

It is said that the name comes from an area considered forbidden (prohibited) because a large plot within the land was privately owned by the Count of Pozos Dulces, where he had his home fifth. In these times there was a walled city and other extramural (which extended to the Hill and Vedado is today), so a zone defense against attacks by pirates or foreign forces was created.

The engineer Luis Iboleón Forest was the developer of Carmel and also from El Vedado, were conceived from the apples start to have one hundred meters per side, except for the limited through the streets C and D, they would only have 80, and located between D and E, 120 meters. This was due to strong pressure from a brick factory that existed in what would be the apple of the streets D and E. The neighborhood would have two beautifully wooded cross streets: G, who later became Presidents Avenue and Paseo. The road was laid plot to facilitate passage of the trade winds. This project also included many parks and tree-lined parterres, and the garden should be part of mandatory housing. The rational use of letters and numbers to the streets first introduced in the country. By 1870 there were only 20 houses in the area, its settlement was initially very slow, over the years other families settled later.

After the Necessary War, and during the American intervention in 1898-1902, began the rise of the area, which increased with the independence of the country, many people established their mansions near the sea, fleeing Old Havana, crowded by that time. However, during the 1950s, the richest people moved further west to Miramar and Country Club, leaving El Vedado to the middle classes. This was used by large Cuban and foreign real estate companies to begin raising many tall buildings of 20 to 30 floors, as Focsa building, the Habana Libre or Somelian, along with several casinos including Sans Souci or the Riviera, this stage, the largest architectural example is the Hotel Nacional de Cuba, one of the world 's best known.

With the triumph of Cuban Revolution, the houses that were abandoned by their inhabitants were transformed into schools and offices of government ministries. Coppelia, the most famous ice cream shop in Cuba and several restaurants such as Mandarin or pig was constructed. After the collapse of the USSR in the area surrounding the Malecón, they continued to build tall buildings and hotels such as the Atlantic and many clubs, discos, etc. It also creates the Metropolitan Park of Havana, considered to be the "green lung" of the city.

Opinions or suggestions

Cubahospeda is a constantly evolving website, that's why your opinions and suggestions are very important, because in this way we will know your expectations and needs for our service.

Your feedback has been sent successfully. Thanks for collaborating with Cubahospeda.com

Follow us on:

Directorio de Vacaciones en Cuba